The INSPIRE-ASP PNA Trial
The INSPIRE-ASP PNA trial is a cluster-randomized controlled trial of HCA hospitals comparing routine empiric antibiotic stewardship practices with real-time precision medicine computerized physician order entry smart prompts providing the probability that a non-critically ill adult admitted with PNA is infected with a resistant pathogen. Note: that enrolled "subjects" represents 59 individual HCA hospitals that have been randomized.
- Eligible Ages
- Over 18 Years
- Eligible Genders
- Accepts Healthy Volunteers
- HCA hospitals admitting adults with PNA
- Facility use of MEDITECH as their electronic health record system
Note: unit of randomization is the hospital, however the CPOE alert intervention will calculate risk estimates for adults age >=18 admitted to non-ICU wards and who are ordered to receive extended-spectrum antibiotics for PNA.
- Study Type
- Intervention Model
- Parallel Assignment
- Intervention Model Description
- This cluster-randomized trial will assess a novel quality improvement antibiotic stewardship strategy for empiric antibiotic selection.
- Primary Purpose
- None (Open Label)
|Continued routine antibiotic stewardship strategies.||
INSPIRE CPOE Smart Prompt
|Use of a computerized physician order entry (CPOE) smart prompt alert to guide empiric choice of antibiotics for PNA in non-ICU patients in the first 3 days of hospitalization.||
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
Study ContactMicaela Coady, MS